Friday, February 23, 2018

Gator Sign - Silver River State Park


I've seen this sign many times before, but had never read it closely as signs like this are common and are not all that helpful as we are aware that most bodies of water, especially in central and south Florida, contain alligators.

We've seen gators in this area of the Silver River but usually out some distance from the shoreline.  What caught my attention this time is the sentence that reads gators "are present along the trails and waterways of this park." 

Trails?  Really?  When I thought about it, I realized I shouldn't have been surprised as there are times when the land beside the trails is flooded and the water several feet deep.  That's where you'd find the gators.

But as I've mentioned in previous posts:  Not to worry, gators only eat once a month.

13 comments:

William Kendall said...

My idiot ex-brother-in-law would be the reason signs like that are needed. Too bad he wouldn't be around when the gators are hungry.

Wait a minute, I take that back.

He'd give the gators heartburn.

RedPat said...

It is amazing that there are so many of them in a state with so many people wandering about. The human haven't disrupted them very much!

Bill said...

I guess I won't be swimming with the gators as it's not allowed or recommended. :) Really, if I happened to see a sign like this, I'm turning around and heading out.

Taken For Granted said...

Gators are large carnivores with an amazing turn of speed, so are best avoided. They are welcome to Florida wetlands as far as I am concerned.

Small City Scenes said...

Well protected Alligators now let's protect people more
MB

Karl said...

Gators only eat once a month? Can you tell me on which specific day?

Kate said...

Beware of alligators with a hungry look in their eyes. A very different phrase caught my eyes on the sign: Do not swim with alligators. Really? This needs to be spelled out?

silvia de angelis said...

Creature giganti e pericolose, eredità preistorica
Un saluto,silvia

Marleen said...

I am SO glad we don't have alligators here.

Sharon said...

But, what if you happen to be there on that one day in the month?
My photo today is on Van Buren street facing west into downtown. What company did you work for when you worked on Central Ave. I bet it's gone now. The clothing store certainly is.

Francisco Manuel Carrajola Oliveira said...

Um aviso importante, aproveito para desejar um excelente fim-de-semana.

Andarilhar
Dedais de Francisco e Idalisa
Livros-Autografados

Sallie (FullTime-Life) said...

We've been real lucky, stumbling on them right after they've eaten apparently ;). Had guests recently who couldn['t wait to see a gator. By the time we drove the Big Cypress Loop, they'd seen more than they thought existed in the world.

PerthDailyPhoto said...

Well that's it Lowell, I'm definitely not walking down that trail.. not ever. I haven't escaped our sharks for so long just to be eaten by an alligator 😀😀

"Photographers deal in things which are continually vanishing and when they have vanished there is no contrivance on earth which can make them come back again." — Henri Cartier-Bresson