Monday, March 19, 2018

Kayaking and Paddleboarding at Silver Springs State Park



It was a beautiful warm day here in central Florida:  High temps in the low 80s (F), bright sunshine, and very little wind.  

We drove to Silver Springs State Park to see what was happening.  The place was jammed.  Many were probably here on spring break.  The Silver River and its tributaries were crowded with kayakers and paddleboarders.

The gentleman pictured above was doing everything right on this paddleboard except that he's standing up, which I don't recommend, but he's attached his left ankle to the board and he's in complete control; more or less.

This is important for reasons which will become clear tomorrow. 

15 comments:

RedPat said...

No gators in that water?

Sharon said...

Oh my goodness, I was thinking the same thing as Pat. When I visit California, I see this sport all the time. I really don't get it.

PerthDailyPhoto said...

Oh me three Lowell 😀 The first thing that came into mind 'hope there aren't any gators'. Hopefully tomorrow's shot isn't going to confirm our fears 😀😀

William Kendall said...

We see this on one of our rivers in the summer, but not after mid-October.

Taken For Granted said...

Water boards are tricky to master as any shift in balance sends one into the water. Aren't there alligators in the Spring River? I would worry about that in Florida.

Bill said...

A snack on display for some hungry gator. He's pretty brave or foolish, definitely not for me.

Sallie (FullTime-Life) said...

I think standup paddle boarding is a thing these days. I saw in the (Oregon) paper where somebody is leading a standup paddleboard Yoga class. That's just wrong -- on so many levels.

Michelle said...

Gators? He looks fairly adept at this.

magiceye said...

Now you have us waiting eagerly for tomorrow's shot!

Kay said...

I can't imagine being in those waters with gators about. That guy looks like a moving canape to me.

silvia de angelis said...

Una minuscola imbarcazione, per solcareacque tranquille....
Un saluto,silvia

Andy said...

I am looking forward to your next posting. Gators... right?

Francisco Manuel Carrajola Oliveira said...

Gostei desta sequência de fotografias.
Um abraço e boa Primavera.

Andarilhar
Dedais de Francisco e Idalisa
O prazer dos livros

Greensboro Daily Photo said...

Silver Springs is such a charming place. When I look at it, I think of Old Florida of yesteryear.

Janis
GDP

Kate said...

This looks like so much fun; would love to do that, if I could remain upright!!

"Photographers deal in things which are continually vanishing and when they have vanished there is no contrivance on earth which can make them come back again." — Henri Cartier-Bresson