Thursday, February 26, 2009

Mimi's - new cafe in town


Mimi's cafe came to Ocala last march. It has become very popular with the locals and is usually jammed. It claims a "European-style cottage exterior," and a "New Orleans decor." When it first opened, I thought it was a unique cafe, but that just shows how much I know - not much.

Before long, we saw a Mimi's in Orlando. Turns out there are about a dozen Mimi's in Florida and 141 of these cafes in 23 states. It also turns out that Mimi's is owned by another well-known company - Bob Evans Farms, Inc., which operates two other "family" type restaurants in Ocala.

The food is quite good, if a bit pricey. The ambiance is quite pleasant, except it tends to be noisy. If you want to talk quietly to those dining with you, ask for a table in the back section. But, if you're ever in Ocala looking for a nice place to eat, I'd certainly recommend Mimi's.

13 comments:

VP said...

I'd like to test it! It seems a nice place, nicer than many real european ones. And I'm sure the service will be better!

Lisa Wilson said...

I've been to the Mimi's in Tulsa. I can't remember a darn thing about the food, but I had a great time meeting up with some friends.

cieldequimper said...

Looks like a nice place, what's the food like? European and New Orleans? ;-)

Lowell said...

The menu is a mix...some French dishes, but I think mostly American - seafood, steak, various sandwiches...

Anonymous said...

We ate at Mimi’s about six times and stopped due to the noise level even in the quiet room. Service was not consistent and the menu is too limited for me. We were please with the new McAllister’s and even the Gators which is a little noisy for me for sandwiches, hamburgers, salad and some variety. We like Carmine’s on RT 200, past OTOW for excellent Italian food, not a pizza joint with food at all. It is finer cuisine and reasonable in price.

Judy said...

Looks bright and sunny, for me the ambiance is as important as the food. Have to check it out if we ever find ourselves there.

Anonymous said...

Wow, I'd like to try this Mimi's one day. Thanks for showing.

Debbie Courson Smith said...

I'd give it a try.

Karen said...

We have a Mimi's in Kissimmee, near the Loop.. our new huge mall. I like the French ambiance and they do a nice luncheon Quiche.. The breakfast's are huge. It's a fun place to go, but not too often and you are right.. it's noisy but I find most places are these days.

Web-OJ said...

Food!!!!! Lead me to it!

lv2scpbk said...

I love places like this.

Antjas said...

When we lived in California we used to go to Mimi's for breakfast and order Pain Perdu, which is French Toast stuffed with cream cheese and orange marmalade. MMMMmmmm. We sure do miss that. New England restaurants are closing, not opening and in 15 years, we have not found a decent local breakfast spot.

Lowell said...

That's so interesting. Here I thought Mimi's was a local place...but there just aren't very many local places left...just chains. But your description of French Toast has made me hungry, so I'm off to the Outback!

"Photographers deal in things which are continually vanishing and when they have vanished there is no contrivance on earth which can make them come back again." — Henri Cartier-Bresson