Photos 1 & 2 - Replica of Fort King constructed at Silver Springs Park
Photos 3 & 4 - A Bunny Weaver at the Fort King Festival. She is weaving material made from the hair of the bunny on her lap.
Photo 5 - A Seminole using a seashell as a horn
In 1827, Fort King, a U.S. Army installation named for Col. William King, was built in what is now east Ocala to try to maintain a measure of peace between white settlers moving into the area and the Seminole Indians who lived slightly to the south. After about two years, however, the fort was essentially abandoned
In 1832, the Fort revived and became involved in the relocation of Seminoles to the west, and later served as a strategic site during the Second Seminole War (1835-1842). It was burned by the Seminoles in 1836 but not decimated and remained in use until the end of the war. In 1844, Fort King became the newly-formed Marion County's first courthouse.
In the end, the fort was abandoned, torn down and it's wood used for other construction projects in the area.
The site of the original fort is about a mile from our home. It is empty land with nothing to designate it's importance other than a couple of markers.
A replica of the fort has been built at Silver Springs and can be seen on one of the boat rides.
Ocala and Marion County conduct a Fort King festival annually about two miles from the site of the fort. It is a celebration of the area's historical heritage and involves various vendors, craftsmen, soldiers, Indians, conquistadores, music and food, among other things.