Saturday, September 30, 2017

Sensual or Sensuousness at Cassadaga


"Sensual" is not an easy theme for people who usually photograph buildings and trees and golf courses and funny folks in malls or strange cars on our highways and byways.

Not finding anything remotely resembling the theme among my recent photos, I ended up searching my archives and discovered the above photo taken on a visit we made several years ago to Cassadaga, a small unincorporated area in Volusia County, Florida, just north of Deltona.

Cassadaga is a Spiritualist community, considered by some to be the "Psychic Capital of the World." There you will find a variety of spiritualists including many psychics and mediums.

Cassadaga was founded by one George Colby, of New York state.  He was a medium who traveled about giving readings and seances. One of his spirit guides, an Indian named Seneca, told Colby to move to Florida. Colby did so and it was there he acquired 35 acres and established his spiritualist camp.

The camp endures to this day.  There is a welcome center, a temple, a hotel, a park, quite a few residences and numerous shops where you can purchase Spiritualist paraphernalia.  During our visit, I took a number of photos, including, fortunately, one of this statue, which is the most "sensuous" photo I could find in my archives.

I apologize for this long-winded and convoluted explanation, but I did want to keep you abreast of what I was doing.

The theme for October 1, is "Sensual."  You can check out how other CDP bloggers interpreted the theme here.

14 comments:

RedPat said...

Good one for the theme, Lowell! I liked your pun at the end! ;-)

Linda said...

I echo RedPat's comment, Lowell, and I also enjoyed your pun at the end. :)

Marleen said...

The theme's a challenge!

William Kendall said...

A good take on the theme!

Bill said...

That works fine for the theme.
About your comment about the quote on the Christian Centre, it scrolls biblical quotes all day long so my photo captured it in the middle of one, unfortunately I don't know what it says.

Kay said...

Good choice, Lowell! I found this a tough one...not sure that I managed to nail it. Tune in tomorrow for details. ;-)

Taken For Granted said...

Lowell, your caught the theme perfectly with this photo. You must admit that she is cute. I'll bet you walk past her whenever you are in the area.

PerthDailyPhoto said...

Water and naked nymphs are always a sensuous combination Lowell, well done with the archive hunt 😀

Francisco Manuel Carrajola Oliveira said...

Uma bela e sensual escultura de que gosto muito.
Um abraço e bom Domingo.

Andarilhar
Dedais de Francisco e Idalisa
Livros-Autografados

Revrunner said...

Reminds me of a statue of the naked David, a copy of Michelangelo's famous one, that kept getting stolen from the entrance to a supposedly upscale neighborhood in the town where I once lived.

LOLfromPasa said...

Got it! Enjoyable post in so many ways.

Thanks for noticing my absence. With one thing and another I simple got out of the blogging routine. When I saw that moon in the Cathedral, that gave me the nudge I needed. Have a good day!

Small City Scenes said...

Yes we are back. Visited Bob's son in Spokane and stayed at the Ranch and had a nice time.
Sensual was a hard theme to pick up on and naked women usually fill the bill
MB

Sharon said...

I'd say you found the perfect shot for this theme. And, here I thought Sedona was the spiritualist capital of the US. I should have known there would be more than one.

Sallie (FullTime-Life) said...

Thanks for the long explanation because now we have an addition to our must visit list... (I don't really get spiritualism or probably even sensuality, but I like to visit these crazy 'only in Florida' kind of places).

"Photographers deal in things which are continually vanishing and when they have vanished there is no contrivance on earth which can make them come back again." — Henri Cartier-Bresson