Thursday, October 5, 2017

Hammocks on the Trail


When Trilogy at Ocala Preserve is complete, there will be 21 miles of hiking and biking trails available for the residents.  At the moment, I'd guess about 10 miles have been completed.  We frequently do a quick 5 mile ride in the morning.

Along these trails are different amenities.  At various places, the powers-that-be have installed hammocks for tired hikers or bikers, strategically situated amongst the trees to provide shade relief from the sun.

A couple of days ago we decided to try out the hammocks.  Have you tried to lay down in a hammock lately?  Our frustration was ameliorated by our laughter as we lay on the ground after having been unceremoniously dumped by a hammock.

But once we got the hang of it, we didn't want to leave.  I'd say that was because we were so comfy but, well .... have you ever tried to get out of a hammock while retaining some sense of dignity?  The crows were cawing and the squirrels were chuckling.  Nevertheless, we dusted ourselves off, and with heads held high, climbed onto our bikes and rode down the trail in the general direction of home!


19 comments:

William Kendall said...

It has been awhile since I've tried one of those.

Stefan Jansson said...

Been a few years since I tried one of these. Met a guy a few years ago that always had one with him, all he needed was two trees and a few minutes later he would be resting in the hammock. The trails sounds great btw.

Bill said...

Sounds like it's a gamble between resting or an emergency situation. :)

RedPat said...

What a great trail that seems to be! We had a hammock when I was a kid & I loved lounging in it and day dreaming!

Andy said...


Hammocks on a hiking bike trail. Now I have seen everything.

Kay said...

Even when I was younger - and presumably more agile - I never mastered Hammock Grace. That's probably why I haven't reacquainted myself with one in eons. And considering your experience I don't suppose I will.

Petrea Burchard said...

Hammocks are fun, and your story is a hoot!

Linda said...

I have not used a hammock in I don't know how long! Great capture, Lowell!

Gosia said...

Lovely place to spend free time

Marleen said...

Reading your story I could picture you getting in and out of the hammock! :)) Next time will go smoothly I'm sure.
How wonderful to see these along a trail.

Francisco Manuel Carrajola Oliveira said...

Um belo lugar para se descansar.
Um abraço, bom fim-de-semana.

Andarilhar
Dedais de Francisco e Idalisa
O prazer dos livros

PerthDailyPhoto said...

Haha! It's been a while I must admit Lowell, I think hammocks are one of those things that sound like a good idea but in reality can be tricky! I can imagine the fun you two had, pity there wasn't anyone around to take a photo 😀😀

Revrunner said...

No rest for the weary and certainly no hammocks on my bike route. Maybe a bench here and there, firmly attached to earth. :-)

Lois said...

Your post made me laugh Lowell! Probably because that would be me, however I would never be able to get out of a hammock at all. That is, if I could manage to get myself into it in the first place!

Sharon said...

Oh my gosh, I'm laughing out loud. Yes, I've tried it with much the same results as you.

Small City Scenes said...

And the cameras were rolling and the people laughing
MB

orvokki said...

Nice outbound route. And hammocks are a lovely idea.
The photo looks wonderful.

Halcyon said...

What a beautiful view! It's nice that they have these trails for people to use. I agree with you though, the best way to get out of a hammock is never to get in one!

Karl said...

What a great idea. I would use each one of these hammocks :)

"Photographers deal in things which are continually vanishing and when they have vanished there is no contrivance on earth which can make them come back again." — Henri Cartier-Bresson