Monday, October 30, 2017

Thanksgiving Turkey


I heard whimpering in the aisle, stopped and turned back and saw a shelf of small turkeys being readied for the annual Thanksgiving feast. This little turkey had a tear running down her cheek.

"Please, kind sir, save me from my fate," she said. "It will soon be Thanksgiving and then it will be too late.  Can you help me, please?  Can you buy me so I don't die on Thanksgiving Day?"

Well, I've got to say I was moved and close to tears at this desperate plea. So, I bought the turkey and brought it home.

Then it hit me. Turkeys can't talk. It was just a ploy to get me to spend my money. So, I grabbed the turkey by the neck and sure enough there was a tag which said "Made in China." I tossed the thing into the garbage can.

But as I walked away, I swear I heard that whimpering again.

Just in case you're wondering, I've decided to skip Thanksgiving this year.

It seems like the right thing to do.

14 comments:

Shammickite said...

Poor little turkey. But I wouldn't want to cook and eat him anyway, he looks a bit chewy.

William Kendall said...

Cute little turkey!

Bill said...

Too funny Lowell, you crack me up. :)

magiceye said...

Well one must do what one thinks right!

Kay said...

Don't worry, Lowell. The ones they get all packaged and ready for Thanksgiving are out of their misery and do little to evoke sympathy, especially after cooking magazines have been drumming up the feasting ideas for a month or two. But if you want to skip it, go ahead. More pumpkin pie for the rest of us.

Marleen said...

That is the sweetest turkey I have ever seen! Who would want to eat that..

Francisco Manuel Carrajola Oliveira said...

Lindo, gostei.
Um abraço e boa semana.

Andarilhar
Dedais de Francisco e Idalisa
O prazer dos livros

Kate said...

With a little less violence, I foresee your future as an author of children's books.

Karl said...

Lovely photograph and nice story.
Happy Halloween, Lowell !

Sharon said...

I would have succumbed to that little plea for help too. However, I'm betting I'll still have some turkey for dinner.

Lois said...

Cute post Lowell. That is the cutest turkey I think I have ever seen!

Sallie (FullTime-Life) said...

Or make a tofuturkey? (Yeah, that’s actually a thing here in Eugene anyway).

Laura. M said...

😊😅He will have thanked you for saving his life😄
Un pato muy guapo!!
Un abrazo.

stardust said...

I'm always marveled at your humorous story-telling.

Yoko

"Photographers deal in things which are continually vanishing and when they have vanished there is no contrivance on earth which can make them come back again." — Henri Cartier-Bresson